In 2016, I wrote a post titled “Basic Things About Me” and over time some things have changed while others have stayed the same. I thought perhaps an update was in order. This is a combination of that post and the “meet the artist” post that was floating around.
1. I turned 41 this year. I don’t know if I’m having a mid-life crisis or if I’m just tired of playing things safe, but I have this overwhelming desire to dye my hair crazy colors (silver and lavender) and just embrace everything unique.
2. I celebrated my 19th wedding anniversary in November of last year and I’m starting to think of ideas for celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. We’ve always promised that we would finally take a “honeymoon” when we made it to 25 years. I don’t fly or get on boats, so we’re basically planning something in North America.
3. My boys are now 14 (he’ll be 15 this year as he is always so quick to point out) and 17. The 17-year old has just grasped that time is so fleeting. He cannot understand how he is already 17. Neither can I to be honest. Both of them are taller than I am. That gives me three times the number of people to help me reach stuff on the top shelf in the kitchen or craft room and it also gives me three times the number of people telling short jokes. I can’t decide if that’s a win type situation or not.
4. I did it. I graduated Magna Cum Laude with a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice and a minor in Community Leadership. I miss school as I’ve been out for an entire year. I have not yet done anything with my degree as I have been trying to decide what’s next for me and for my family. School, for me, was originally something to do when the boys went to school. It was a lifelong dream to graduate college, but I didn’t really have a plan past that point. I recommend against that particular way of doing things, in case you’re wondering.
5. I was recently (three weeks ago) diagnosed as a Type 2 Diabetic. It was both totally expected and a surprise. I had been getting lucky on that for over 20 years and I knew it would catch up with me eventually. Since that phone call from the nurse three weeks ago, I have brought my HbA1c down 1.8% and I’m still going. I have my ups (literally) and my downs (not quite so literally) but I’m going to keep at it because it’s high time I started taking care of myself. My goal is to not have to take medications to control this at this time.
6. I love creative expression and I engage in it whenever possible. Currently I enjoy writing, drawing, coloring, spinning yarn, weaving, knitting, sewing, and beading. I want to learn crochet, pottery, and glass work (stained glass and creating things like my own beads). I know where there are classes for the first two, but I haven’t found a class for the third yet.
7. I collect journals, writing paper, fountain pens and ink, wax and wax seals, art supplies of all kinds, yarn, fiber, fabric, and stuffed animals.
8. My likes: I like seeing vivid colors. I like the view of a gorgeous sunrise or sunset, the full moon, and the clouds before a hurricane. I love the scent of rain, men’s cologne, fresh cut grass, leather, raw silk, and puppy breath. I love the sound of kittens purring, a child’s belly laugh, music with a good drum beat, a really good thunderstorm, and the sounds of night outside. I love the feel of the cold spray from a waterfall, the burn in your muscles after a fun hike, the brush of cashmere against your skin, and the prickles of kittens kneading on your arm. I love the taste of hot tea and strawberries with vanilla yogurt. I absolutely adore getting mail that is not bills. I enjoy reading a great book. I love happy surprises.
9. Dislikes: I hate peas, potatoes, liver, onions, and peppers. I hate the smell of skunks, cigarette smoke, diesel fuel, and deep fried anything. I hate seeing child abuse, animal abuse, hate, bigotry, and apathy. I hate hearing people chew, ice chipping, people fighting, children crying, and needless machines making racket. I hate the feel of a commercial wool sweater. They are itchy. I hate the feel of hot sheets, a thin coffee cup, and popcorn kernels in your teeth.
10. Fears: failure, dentists, clowns, and the things I conjure up in my head when I’m worrying.
11. I believe in our justice system. I believe in law. I believe in community. I believe in standing together. I believe in love. I believe that, while things can always improve, we must work with what we have. I believe in resilience. I believe in moving forward. I believe in I can and I will. I believe in personal power. I believe in education. I appreciate those who see the good in life, even when faced with adversity.
12. Things I always have with me are my phone, a pair of headphones, a hair scrunchie, chapstick, a pen, my Fitbit, and MyID.
13. Work: I’m currently selling my handcrafted art. You can see that at http://www.shaunnamichelles.com. I also sell Scentsy, which you can find at http://www.fairyfragrance.scentsy.us. My upcoming projects include writing and perhaps a livestream, but I’m still thinking on that one.
If you would like to know something I haven’t spoken about, please ask!
Until next time,